So, a month ago, I started working on getting healthier. For the past 8-10 years, my life has gone NONSTOP… and I was the thing I let slip through the cracks!
Every year, I have started working out 3 days a week, then whittled down to 2 days per week… And that starts feeling pointless when I don’t make any progress.
So I asked for help this time. I asked a friend, Lana, who leads a fitness boot camp, for some advice.
And she gave me a simple set of starting points:
- Do 30 mins of cardio 5 out of 7 days… Even if it’s marching in place at home. She recommended mixing it up to keep from getting bored.
- Do 30 repetitions of each of these strength exercises 3 out of 7 days:
- Bicep curls (both arms at the same time)
- Tricep extensions (both arms over head)
- Drink 1/2 your weight in ounces of water. Specifically, drink a big glass of water before a meal, to fill up your stomach.
I also know I tend to stress eat and have little portion awareness. So I added:
- Tracking my eating in MyFitnessPal & staying at 1200 calories.
It’s been going very good! I actually find myself looking forward to exercising.
Here’s my stats:
- January 8-14
- Cardio 30 min x 4 days out of 7 days
- Strength exercises 30 reps 2x
- Water 3 days at 80+ oz!
- Weight loss 2.2#
- January 15-21
- Cardio: 30 min x 5 days out of 7 (1 kickboxing, 2 stationary bike @ home, 2 power walking)
- Strength exercises: 30 reps each x 3 days
- Water: 7 days at 80 or more oz!
- Weight loss 2.4#
- January 16-28
- Cardio: 2 kickboxing classes (50 min each), stationary bike @ home (45 min & 30 min), 1 power walking (15 min)… Let’s call it 4.5 of 7 days
- Strength exercises: 30 reps each x 2 days, Pilates class 1 day
- Water: I’m still drowning in it! 80+ oz per day
- Weight loss 1.6#
- January 29-February 4
- Cardio: 1 kickboxing classes (50 min each), 1 elliptical (31 min), 1 stationary bike @ home (30 min), 1 combo (power walking 25 min & elliptical 20 min)… 4 of 7 days
- Strength exercises: 30 reps each x 4 once, 15 reps each x 4 once, 30 reps of 2 arm exercises (I haven’t found a good place at home for push-ups & sit-ups)
- Water: I’ve found drinking on exercise days is so much more successful than off days. But getting over 80 oz everyday.
- Weight loss 1.6#
Total weight loss: 7.8# (4.15% of original weight)
Waist: 0 change
Hips: 0 change