This month marks 20 years since June 1997 when I quit running from the Lord… and He saved me!
So I would like to share 20 examples of His grace in my life:
- In June 1997, I moved from a very small world of complete focus on Gabe, to start life with God. I was alone, since my former god took all my attention.
- The first thing I remember was that He provided 2 amazing roommates, Katrina and Jennifer, who loved Him but also couldn’t carry the weight of my dependency, so they sent me to the Bible for hope, peace, life, direction – EVERYTHING!
- Next, He took me to Aggie Sisters for Christ where I learned to study the Bible, be accountable to my Christian sisters, and met my wonderful friends Amy, Wendy, and Anne-Lauren.
- For my whole life, I had been drawn to multiple things that didn’t lead to point to a career or make sense to me… but after I met Christ, they made sense! He had created me with a love for the world, since this reflects His love for the Nations.
- Then, in 1998, Camp Barnabas came to Aggie Sisters for Christ to recruit volunteers to be one-on-one with individuals with various disabilities at camp. At this camp, God put me in a cabin with 10 girls with Down syndrome, and put His desire in my heart to have a daughter with Down syndrome.
- In 1999, He blessed me with going to Rajasthan, India with Caleb Project, where I learned by living with Helen, Tim, Heather, and Mark, who each followed Him with a different expression of faith and discipline.
- In 2000, He put Joel on my heart, even before I knew him, or knew that God was calling Joel to himself, and brought us together to be on mission for Him, with strengths that compliment and challenge each other.
- In 2001, He used my pregnancy with Arabella to humble the pride that developed over the years of Him letting me be part of His work.
- He used an irregular ultrasound to cause us to understand the grace and faith in Him it takes to have a child.
- He used the words of Nicole at the Mother Blessing to show us in advance what He would do later, just as with prophets in the Bible.
- He showed us the amazing gift of His Church as Ecclesia carried us through the days in the NICU after Arabella was born with a broken heart.
- He taught us to surrender our greatest possession back to Him when the doctors had to cut into our daughter 3 times in her first 6 months. And He let us keep her.
- He blessed us with knowing Camryn and experiencing the faith of Heidi and Stephen as God took her to His home.
- He miraculously brought Darin into our home, a precious present.
- He took us to Kaleo, used Bill to heal some brokenness in our marriage, and called Joel to plant The Basilica Community, where we experienced church in an amazing way.
- He provided my amazing job through volunteer at Star of Hope, who sent my resume to a friend, and then gave Angela the confidence to let me work from home, so I could invest in my kids while working full time. After 10 years, I still love this job!
- He took us to Maine… even as hard as it was, I can’t imagine life without going there and getting to know the Bells, the Desjardins, the Hutchins, and the Stewarts.
- He sold our house in Houston, bought in 2004, rented out from 2007-2014, just as we needed money to return to Texas and find new jobs.
- He provided Shae & Shelley to provide care for Darin so I could go to church.
- He provided a student ministry that has embraced Arabella & drawn her to the Lord.
- He gave me a patient, loving mother & a Christ-like father to help me through all these year!